Monday, March 12, 2007

Richard and Troy

Today in Washington, DC my friend Troy (on the left) and I met with Richard Florida (that's him on the right -- just in case you thought it was me). Richard wrote the book The Rise of the Creative Class. Both Troy and I wanted to meet him so I e-mailed him and another six weeks later we were winging our way on a late Sunday night to Washington. This morning we rose early and headed off to our meeting place. Four or five men walked in the coffee shop and we wondered if each of them were Richard. Then a car pulled up outside and a guy got out and Troy said "That's him." And he was sooo right. What a great conversation.

We thought we would have about an hour conversation -- we ended up spending two and a half hours talking together. Richard was very encouraging of the work we are doing at Broadway. And quickly suggested some ways that we might be able to work together! It was a wide ranging discussion which I'll try to write about when I'm more awake. But it touched on inequality in income, it touched on the openness of communities to gay and lesbian folks, it touched on creative work going on around the globe. It was fascinating. He told stories about conversations with Jane Jacobs that I just lapped up. Anyway...what a great day. Troy was the one who made this happen. He told me how much he liked the things that Richard wrote and we talked about how it would be great if we could talk with him. That gave rise to this visit -- which I think will have an impact on our lives and our community/parish -- for years to come.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The earliest I could get a job was when I was 15 years old, and nfl jerseys store I wanted a job as a teenager. While I wouldn't classify christian louboutin shoes my family as poor, we weren't exactly wealthy, either. I wanted a job so I NFL Jerseys could have my own source of income without having to bother my parents for Nike Free Run money. It was independence. By having my own job, I'd be able to Nike Roshe Run start saving money Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes for a car when I got my license at 16 and just have some spending cash to do with christian louboutin uk as I pleased. That's why, louboutin outlet no more than a week after my 15th Nike Air Max 90 birthday, I got a job at a drug store down the street cheap nfl jerseys from my house. wholesale nfl jerseys I worked 15-25 hours per week, taking shifts after school and on weekends. Well, it wasn't long after I started the job that something came

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home