Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Fire


This photo is from the Indianapolis Star -- it's a block from the church where I'm typing these words. Evon Griffin died in this fire early yesterday morning.

I've been thinking about Sunday's scripture as I prepare to speak in the presence of fire.

Here's a passage from the Book of Jeremiah:

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; and before you were born I consecrated you." These are the words of God to Jeremiah. As I read these words I couldn't help but think of the six (6!) people who have died from fires in their homes in the last two (2!) years -- heck in less than the last two years -- in the four block radius of this church. That's stunning.

Weren't Allyson and Mary and Evon and Arneshia, Valarie, and Porsha consecrated? And for this? For this? To be burned up in their homes? Why? (by the way -- all but one of these was under 15 years old) Of course there is no answer for that. Or at least no good answer. Less than fifteen years old. Children in the full flower of their possibility. Each one of the six, beloved children of God. Each one.

In the famous love passage from I Corinthians 13 we will read -- we will read these words from that passage "If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." Another translation says, ..."if I hand over my body to be burned, but do not have love..." -- the Oxford Annotated version notes that the word "suggests voluntary self-immolation, martyrdom, or branding as a slave." Oh man.

So, I keep thinking of the deaths of these women. All of them women. That was another thing.

But the words of Paul about love are etched in my mind and soul..."Love never ends...Now I know in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. And now faith, hope and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love."

The greatest of these is love. I don't feel very hopeful today. I think of the barrenness of grief. The desolation that Isaiah speaks about (in last week's lesson from the Hebrew scriptures) I see before me. Six lives in less than two years in a four block area -- where's the hope in that? I don't feel very faithful. I sit here at my computer - a person of faith would be somewhere else doing something. So...I'm out there. But what does it mean to have love? What does it mean to love these women? They are no longer here. But isn't there someway we can love them? Maybe if we can pull together some people -- people who loved them, to talk, to cry, to pray... Maybe in that love something will arise.

The lesson from the Gospel has Jesus saying, "Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing." Love.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The earliest I could get a job was when I was 15 years old, and nfl jerseys store I wanted a job as a teenager. While I wouldn't classify christian louboutin shoes my family as poor, we weren't exactly wealthy, either. I wanted a job so I NFL Jerseys could have my own source of income without having to bother my parents for Nike Free Run money. It was independence. By having my own job, I'd be able to Nike Roshe Run start saving money Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes for a car when I got my license at 16 and just have some spending cash to do with christian louboutin uk as I pleased. That's why, louboutin outlet no more than a week after my 15th Nike Air Max 90 birthday, I got a job at a drug store down the street cheap nfl jerseys from my house. wholesale nfl jerseys I worked 15-25 hours per week, taking shifts after school and on weekends. Well, it wasn't long after I started the job that something came

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home