Sunday, January 21, 2007

Bloom


An expression that often runs through my mind is "bloom where you are planted." I think about that for myself, my family, and for my neighbors and parishioners. How can we help one another bloom where we are planted? What does that look like?

The picture at the top is from an exhibition entitled "Bloom" by the artist Anna Schuleit. This exhibition is set in the Massachusetts Mental Health Center. She took this abandoned Mental Hospital and set up 28,000 flowers throughout the place. She said that she did it because mental patients never get flowers (while regular hospital patients often do). After the four days of the exhibition she took these flowers (one halfway is depicted in the photograph at the top) and had them sent to mental patients around the Boston area. How beautiful.

Back in 2001 she took the old Northampton Mental Hospital (abandoned as well) and put speakers in many of the rooms and for 28 minutes one day she played Bach's "Magnificat" throughout the grounds (through the broken windows) as people gathered. In the interview I got the idea that the people at the event were former mental patients, their families, people who had worked there, and people from the community. It was a way to say goodbye officially. And -- how beautiful that the "Magnificat" was sung -- this reminder that God has turned the world upside down from the way we understand it.

I take a lot of inspiration from this woman and I find myself being inspired by her witness to see the world around me with new eyes. Bloom. Yes, indeed.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

It's good to have you blogging again after your post Christmas hiatus. Welcome back from your fans in Turkey!

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,
In this morning's office the scripture was Paul's defense before Agrippa - you've brought another hand grip upon the closing - "proving their change of heart by their deeds"
As we continue to struggle against the temptation to make the meetings our mission, Thank you.

Craig

9:27 AM  
Blogger Mike Mather said...

To Beth and to Craig - thanks so much for writing -- thanks so much for reading. And for your kind words.

8:51 PM  
Blogger 柯云 said...

2016-06-13keyun
nike trainers sale
celine outlet
michael kors outlet
fitflop shoes
louis vuitton handbags
kate spade outlet
louis vuitton purses
jordans for sale
ray bans
gucci belts
burberry sale
coach factory outlet
coach outlet
louis vuitton outlet
supra footwear
cheap oakleys
coach factory outlet online
fitflop shoes
air jordan homme
jordan shoes
oakley sunglasses
insanity workout
ray ban sunglasses uk
celine handbags
coach factory outlet online
replica rolex watches
rolex watches
nike free uk
burberry sale
coach factory outlet
fitflop sale
longchamp outlet
toms wedges
michael kors outlet
air max 95
coach outlet
abercrombie and fitch
adidas trainers
adidas superstar shoes

1:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The earliest I could get a job was when I was 15 years old, and nfl jerseys store I wanted a job as a teenager. While I wouldn't classify christian louboutin shoes my family as poor, we weren't exactly wealthy, either. I wanted a job so I NFL Jerseys could have my own source of income without having to bother my parents for Nike Free Run money. It was independence. By having my own job, I'd be able to Nike Roshe Run start saving money Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes for a car when I got my license at 16 and just have some spending cash to do with christian louboutin uk as I pleased. That's why, louboutin outlet no more than a week after my 15th Nike Air Max 90 birthday, I got a job at a drug store down the street cheap nfl jerseys from my house. wholesale nfl jerseys I worked 15-25 hours per week, taking shifts after school and on weekends. Well, it wasn't long after I started the job that something came

7:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Having read this I believed it was rather informative
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/spraying-pesticides-anti-insects-company-in-qassim.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/pesticides-spray-anti-insect-company-riyadh.html

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home