Thursday, December 21, 2006

Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming


The lyrics to this beautiful (to my ears) hymn are:

Lo, how a Rose e'er blooming
From tender stem hath sprung!
Of Jesse's lineage coming
As men of old have sung
It came, a flow'ret bright,
Amid the cold of winter
When half spent was the light.

Isaiah 'twas foretold it

The rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it,
The Virgin Mother kind.

To show God's love aright,

She bore to men a Saviour,
When half spent was the night.

O flow'r, whose fragrance tender

With sweetness fills the air,
Dispel in glorious splendour
The darkness ev'ry where.

True man, yet very God,

From sin and death now save us,
And share our ev're load.


Those words give me comfort in the days leading up to Christmas. They remind me, both in form and in substance, of the beauty that is so much a part of our faith -- but is so easily and often forgotten.

I often miss the beauty that strays across my path. And then in moments like this I take the time to think on those things of beauty -- of the woman who offered me forgivenss as I passed her in the church office. The fellow who greeted me as we walked on opposite sides of the street the other evening. I think of the dark blue of the sky as I took a walk around the neighborhood last evening. I thought of the sound of the waters as I crossed the Central Bridge to and from the church today. I thought of Jordan's gangly self bounding down the stairs late at night to give his old dad a hug before he headed off to bed. I thought of Conor's beaming exuberance as he walked in the back door heading home from an evening out with his girlfriend. I thought of Kathy lying snug under the covers with her head and her book visible by the light of her bedside lamp. There's a lot of beauty surrounding me these days - in little ways and large. Christmas is coming.

I came across the following Christmas piece by the great African-American theologian Howard Thurman and that I offer to you both in celebration and I suppose, as challenge!

When the song of the angels is stilled
when the star in the sky is gone
when the kings and princes are home
when the shepherds are back with their flocks
the work of Christmas begins
to find the lost
to heal the broken
to feed the hungry
to release the prisoner
to rebuild the nations
to bring peace among the people
to make music in the heart.

3 Comments:

Blogger Don Bryant said...

In Mr. Thurman's statement, I wonder if he realized how often he was speaking of only one person, though we tend to think of it as a statement of many.

From Lo How a Rose, I revel in the line, "...from tender stem hath sprung."

5:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

zhengjx20160608
oakley sunglasses
rolex watches
lebron 12
true religion outlet store
oakley outlet
michael kors
michael kors outlet online
fitflops
adidas outlet store
gucci outlet online
coach outlet
rolex watches
coach outlet online
replica rolex watches
michael kors outlet
red bottom shoes
celine handbags
kate spade outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses wholesale
ghd hair straighteners
michael kors outlet
true religion jeans
toms shoes outlet online
coach outlet
longchamp outlet
coach outlet
nike roshe run
louis vuitton outlet
gucci outlet
nike air max uk
ralph lauren outlet
ray ban sunglasses
true religion sale
asics shoes for men
true religion outlet
cheap toms
lebron james shoes 13
jordan retro 11
toms wedges

10:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The earliest I could get a job was when I was 15 years old, and nfl jerseys store I wanted a job as a teenager. While I wouldn't classify christian louboutin shoes my family as poor, we weren't exactly wealthy, either. I wanted a job so I NFL Jerseys could have my own source of income without having to bother my parents for Nike Free Run money. It was independence. By having my own job, I'd be able to Nike Roshe Run start saving money Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes for a car when I got my license at 16 and just have some spending cash to do with christian louboutin uk as I pleased. That's why, louboutin outlet no more than a week after my 15th Nike Air Max 90 birthday, I got a job at a drug store down the street cheap nfl jerseys from my house. wholesale nfl jerseys I worked 15-25 hours per week, taking shifts after school and on weekends. Well, it wasn't long after I started the job that something came

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home