Sunday, October 22, 2006

Jordan


Friday our youngest son, Jordan, turned thirteen years old. And this is something to celebrate. Why? Because Jordan is the ultimate celebrator. And yet he is an amazing cross between a Trappist monk, a pied piper of children, and a mimic (and memorizer) of tales he has heard (and loved), and (and this is a very special and unique gift) a young person seemingly comfortable in his own skin. In short - he is a wonder.

Jordan is the one among us who is most comfortable in a crowd. Though he would much rather be alone. Jordan loves children, though he claims to be annoyed by them, he will spend three days with his young cousins -- they will follow him around, play with him, climb over and around him, and never a word of complaint arises from him -- never seeking a moment of hiding away from them. He is amazing.

He loves the camera -- positions himself both in front of it and behind it. On Monday he will go to film a Shortridge Soccer game (talk about a thankless task). But point a camera at him and he will not be shy -- he will show you something. It may be funny. It may be quiet. It may be outrageous. But it will be all him. And all his choice. He is himself. Oh...it is a rare gift that he is -- being comfortable as he is in his own skin.

He will tell you what he thinks of something. He loves to tell a story -- either something that he witnessed or that happened to him - or one of the stories that he sees on television or in a movie. He memorizes dialogue of his favorite stories - and will spill it out to you at just the slightest opening.

He eats just a few things. He loves pasta - spaghetti and elbow macaroni and shells and penne are among his favorites. He likes a good steak. He like Ramen noodles, un cooked, with the sauce, dry, poured on top. He likes bread -- but only with the edges cut off. He likes hot dogs (sometimes). He likes peanut butter meltaways from the South Bend Chocolate Company. There are a few other favorites but not many.

Each of us is a unique creation. And I see (in my own life and others) that it is often to forget that. But Jordan is a wonderful reminder to me each and every day to trust and believe in who God made each of us to be. What a gift that is. Thank you Jordan!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mike,

Wow, has it been 13 years? I remember the day Jordan was born and being downstairs in your living room with Meara who was excited about a "baby". I agree, Jordan is a wonderful unique person. Remember how he would run up during celebration of communion and have you hold him? That is a beautiful memory as well. Best of all, you've got to love his ability to memorize dialog. I have "seen" countless TV shows and movies through Jordan's retelling.
Best wishes to Jordan...I miss him!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Mike Mather said...

Yep, Beth -- 13 years. I too remember that day. I do remember him running up during communion. It is one of my fondest memories of all. When I want to think of a happy time at Broadway Christian Parish, Jordan on my shoulders, as I raised the bread and broke it, fills my heart. Thanks for recalling it.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

Uncooked ramen noodles with the dry sauce on top. Why don't they serve that at Nothing but Noodles?

Here are some career possibilities I see for Jordan:

Screenwriter
Actor
Playwrite
Investigative reporter (ala Bob Woodward)
Biographer
Prophet

13! He's such a grown up now! I love how he talks about you, Mike, with such admiration, sarcasm free.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The earliest I could get a job was when I was 15 years old, and nfl jerseys store I wanted a job as a teenager. While I wouldn't classify christian louboutin shoes my family as poor, we weren't exactly wealthy, either. I wanted a job so I NFL Jerseys could have my own source of income without having to bother my parents for Nike Free Run money. It was independence. By having my own job, I'd be able to Nike Roshe Run start saving money Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes for a car when I got my license at 16 and just have some spending cash to do with christian louboutin uk as I pleased. That's why, louboutin outlet no more than a week after my 15th Nike Air Max 90 birthday, I got a job at a drug store down the street cheap nfl jerseys from my house. wholesale nfl jerseys I worked 15-25 hours per week, taking shifts after school and on weekends. Well, it wasn't long after I started the job that something came

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home