Sunday, September 03, 2006

First, the symmetry


Tonight after arriving back home from the weekend with my family over in Cincinnati,I finished reading a book I had sitting around for awhile. It is entitled Evil: An Investigation and it is by Lance Morrow. In it he tells the following story: There is a story about the nineteenth-century naturalist Louis Agassiz.
When a student would come to his Harvard laboratories applying to study ichthyology with the great man, Agassiz would go to a shelf in his office and take down a jar of formaldehyde, from which he would withdraw a large dead fish. Placing the fish on a metal plate, he would hand it to the student with the words, "Study your fish."
The student would be instructed to sit in an adjoining room, with no texts and no instruments of any kind, and simply to look at the fish, to study it. Sometimes Agassiz would leave the student in there for hours.
The student at first would be mystified. But after a time, he would begin to do as he was instructed. He would study his fish. He would stare at it, first on one side and then th eother. And he would begin to notice, among other things, what?
First, the symmetry.
That the fish was a marvel of symmetry, a masterpiece of twinned features.

It is interesting to spend time with one's extended family. All of a sudden you begin to see "twinned features" between people that have perhaps missed your notice before.

We gathered to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of Kathy's Uncle Bob and Aunt Helen. Their five children were all there, along with their children. Kathy's sister and brother were there as well. I looked at the array of family and I began to see a symmetry that I hadn't always picked up on before. Perhaps the years of looking finally revealed something to me that was there in front of my eyes all along. It was fun to be there and see the varieties of symmetry's that could come from within one family. I saw the same thing around the dinner table at Kathy's folks home as we would gather for meals throughout the weekend and see Kathy and her sister and her brother revealing different dimensions and yet coming together to form each a unique symmetry. Very cool.

And it got me to thinking about the way in which we recognize each other in the church and in the community. Do we look for the ways in which there is symmetry and find ways to put those things together to create something new and amazing? Or do we look and shake our heads and think that nothing coming together is possible. In the church, at least, we do a bit of both.

In the community at large, I fear we rarely ever look for the symmetry. When violence takes off in the community we see it as someone else's problem (though, of course "we" have to do something about it). We have a hard time seeing our part of the symmetry. I see the same thing when I read the paper and see an article about "the breakdown of marriage" in the community -- and instead of looking for the symmetry -- we look for how to fix the people who are broken (you know the people whose "fault" this problem is -- take your pick, by the way, it's a smorgasbord!).

I yearn for vision that is able to see oneself and others we come across as belonging together in a symmetry. It's not my birthday, but I'll still close my eyes and make that wish tonight.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

I sure wish that, too, Mike! My birthday is coming up in a month, I suppose I could save this wish for my 30th b-day party.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The earliest I could get a job was when I was 15 years old, and nfl jerseys store I wanted a job as a teenager. While I wouldn't classify christian louboutin shoes my family as poor, we weren't exactly wealthy, either. I wanted a job so I NFL Jerseys could have my own source of income without having to bother my parents for Nike Free Run money. It was independence. By having my own job, I'd be able to Nike Roshe Run start saving money Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes for a car when I got my license at 16 and just have some spending cash to do with christian louboutin uk as I pleased. That's why, louboutin outlet no more than a week after my 15th Nike Air Max 90 birthday, I got a job at a drug store down the street cheap nfl jerseys from my house. wholesale nfl jerseys I worked 15-25 hours per week, taking shifts after school and on weekends. Well, it wasn't long after I started the job that something came

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home