Monday, September 04, 2006

Forgiving Persistence


In my devotions this morning I came across the following reading from a friend of mine by the name of Daniel Berrigan (from a book entitled Sorrow Built a Bridge):
Of this I am certain: of our calling to holiness, our vocation to persist, in season and out in the work of healing others, even as we seek healing for ourselves…
So we take heart. We commend the woman who quite simply, with all her heart, on behalf of someone she loved, refused to give up [the Syrophoenician woman of Mark 7.24-30]. We might think of her act as ‘forgiving persistence’ toward Christ. We might also wish to ponder a kind of ‘persistent forgiveness’ toward the church.
The woman refuses and persists. And so prevails.
And so must we. And so shall we.
We must forgive, deepen our love, persist in our conviction that even the church can be redeemed from sin.
In so fulfilling our vocation, we ourselves are healed.

These words come to me at a good time today. I think of people who I've sat with, walked with, talked with, prayed with, over the last few days. I know and hear the pain in their lives (and in my own) and yet I find myself so encouraged by the persistence that comes to seek healing from a friend, from a pastor, even from a stranger. That to me is hope...that reaching out, even when it seems like the storms of life are raging.
Yesterday, my car got towed. I parked in the wrong place downtown (at the wrong time) and so, feeling sick, I had to walk down to the County City building and pay my fine and find out where the car was to pick it up. I was feeling lousy and I walked in the door on the west side of the building and realized that I couldn't go in that way. The police officer by the door told me where I needed to go. And then, unexpectedly, he asked me where I was going. I told him, and he gave me a smile (at the end of a long day, I'm sure it wasn't the easiest thing to summon up) and told me where to go -- and with his words he commisserated with me (it's hard to say how, it's just that in how he spoke I knew I wasn't alone). This small act of kindness in a weary and sick day was a reminder to me of the small ways, in forgiving persistence, that we bless each other every day, and yet often are unaware.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your words at 4 A.M. in Rotorua New Zealand before my closing talk at conference here today with me having no idea of what to say and wondering why I am here, but also so touched by Maori peoples' easy kindness, laughter and great hospitality.

I miss you Mike and Broadway very much. As I tell Broadway story here in NZ, I realize how much you and your gang of persistent Christians are in my heart and my life,Mike

12:58 PM  
Blogger Mike Mather said...

Mike -- wonderful to hear from you in Paradise. We look forward to seeing you back here in October. We are eager to hear the stories of your travels and to see you again.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The earliest I could get a job was when I was 15 years old, and nfl jerseys store I wanted a job as a teenager. While I wouldn't classify christian louboutin shoes my family as poor, we weren't exactly wealthy, either. I wanted a job so I NFL Jerseys could have my own source of income without having to bother my parents for Nike Free Run money. It was independence. By having my own job, I'd be able to Nike Roshe Run start saving money Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes for a car when I got my license at 16 and just have some spending cash to do with christian louboutin uk as I pleased. That's why, louboutin outlet no more than a week after my 15th Nike Air Max 90 birthday, I got a job at a drug store down the street cheap nfl jerseys from my house. wholesale nfl jerseys I worked 15-25 hours per week, taking shifts after school and on weekends. Well, it wasn't long after I started the job that something came

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home