Monday, March 05, 2007

Jayber Crow


I love to read the following by Wendell Berry during Lent -- It's from "Jayber Crow" (and it's Jayber who is speaking) --

For a while again I couldn't pray. I didn't dare to. In the most secret place of my soul I wanted to beg the Lord to reveal himself in power. I wanted to tell him that it was time for his coming. If there was anything at all to what he had promised, why didn't he come in glory with angels and lay his hands on the hurt children and awaken the dead soldiers and restore the burned villages and the blasted and poisoned land? Why didn't he cow our arrogance?...
But thinking such things was as dangerous as praying them. I knew who had thought such thoughts before: "Let Christ the king of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe." Where in my own arrogance was I going to hide?
Where did I get my knack for being a fool? If I could advise God, why didn't I just advise him (like our great preachers and politicians) to be on our side and give us victory? I had to turn around and wade out of the mire myself.
Christ did not descend from the cross except into the grave. And why not otherwise? Wouldn't it have put fine comical expressions on the faces of the scribes and the chief priests and the soldiers if at that moment he had come down in power and glory? Why didn't he do it? Why hasn't he done it at any one of a thousand good times between then and now?
I knew the answer. I knew it a long time before I could admit it, for all the suffering of the world is in it. He didn't, he hasn't, because from the moment he did, he would be the absolute tyrant of the world and we would be his slaves. Even those who hated him and hated one another and hated their own souls would have to believe in him then. From that moment the possibility that we might be bound to him and he to us and us to one another by love forever would be ended.
And so, I thought, he must forebear to reveal his power and glory by presenting himself as himself, and must be present only in the ordinary miracle of the existence of his creatures. Those who wish to see him must see him in the poor, the hungry, the hurt, the wordless creatures, the groaning and travailing beautiful world.
I would sometimes be horrified in every moment I was alone. I could see no escape. We are too tightly tangled together to be able to separate ourselves from one another either by good or by evil. We are all involved in all and any good, and in all and any evil. For any sin, we all suffer. That is why our suffering is endless. it is why God grieves and Christ's wounds still are bleeding.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful passage. Thanks for sharing it!

12:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

zhengjx20160608
louis vuitton outlet
tory burch outlet
coach outlet clearance
louis vuitton purses
cheap ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet stores
coach outlet store
michael kors outlet
jordan 3s
oakley vault
concords 11
coach outlet
nike air max
jordan retro 13
tiffany and co
tory burch outlet online
tiffany and co
ray bans
kate spade outlet
nfl jerseys
rolex watches
coach outlet online
oakley canada
cheap rolex watches
michael kors outlet online
hollister clothing store
pandora jewelry
retro 11
michael kors outlet clearance
coach factory outlet online
air max
oakley outlet
louis vuitton outlet
nike uk
insanity workout
coach factory outlet online
kate spade
louis vuitton bags
cheap toms
abercrombie outlet

10:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The earliest I could get a job was when I was 15 years old, and nfl jerseys store I wanted a job as a teenager. While I wouldn't classify christian louboutin shoes my family as poor, we weren't exactly wealthy, either. I wanted a job so I NFL Jerseys could have my own source of income without having to bother my parents for Nike Free Run money. It was independence. By having my own job, I'd be able to Nike Roshe Run start saving money Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes for a car when I got my license at 16 and just have some spending cash to do with christian louboutin uk as I pleased. That's why, louboutin outlet no more than a week after my 15th Nike Air Max 90 birthday, I got a job at a drug store down the street cheap nfl jerseys from my house. wholesale nfl jerseys I worked 15-25 hours per week, taking shifts after school and on weekends. Well, it wasn't long after I started the job that something came

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home