Thursday, June 01, 2006

It'll be Alright. You'll be Alright.

I attended Bishop Leroy Hodapp's funeral yesterday. My friends Kathy and Craig Sweet drove over from Kankakee, IL to attend. Kathy went to college with my wife, Kathy, and me. She began in Nursing School (with Kathy) and then came over to Pre-Theology (with me). She went to Drew University Theological School the year before we did -- and she met Craig there and they got married a short time later. I saw old friends from South Bend and older friends from Evansville in attendance. There were a host of bishops gathered up front to see their old buddy off. Lloyd Wright gave the eulogy and remembered his friend warmly and well. So did our current Bishop Mike Coyner, and another Indiana bred bishop -- John Hopkins. But it was Bishop Hodapp's grandson, Brian, who set the tone and gave me something of substance to write about today.

I must admit I had both my appreciation for and my problems with Bishop Hodapp. I appreciated his support of me in my first parish when all hell was breaking loose. I called him to tell him my district superintendent wasn't supporting me. A week later he called me to say "he will support you now." I would write him letters complaining about the state of the church in one way or another and his response always was to (hand) write me a response and invite me to his office to chat with him. And that's what I would do. He was easy to talk with -- even when disagreeing.

When he sent me to serve Broadway Christian Parish in South Bend he described me to the new district superintendent as "John the Baptist with a sense of humor." I got some delight out of that characterization.

Our last correspondence was on his response to the union service of two men at Broadway Church back in 1992. I felt that the response he gave to it in writing to all the churches of the Indiana area saying that no church or clergy should do such a thing was a political response out of fear and I felt that was beneath him. His response back to me sounded more confused than clear.

So...it was interesting to read in his obituary that appeared in the Indianapolis Star that when his grandson, Brian, asked him what he thought of the current church controversies regarding homosexuality and what, in specific, the Pauline epistles had to say about it, the obituary reported that Bishop Hodapp had said to his grandson -- "Well...I just think that Paul got that wrong."

At our gathering to celebrate his life his grandson rose and told us about his grandfather. He told us with rich, warm memories of his grandfather who he thought of as one of the smartest people he ever knew. He knew, as well, that his grandfather had been an athlete. As Brian grew older he and his grandfather would stay up late after everyone else went to bed and talk. He asked his grandfather about the texts in the bible regarding homosexuality. He asked his grandfather "Am I going to hell?" And his grandfather told him -- "No. It'll be alright. You'll be alright." Confronted by his own grandson he knew the truth and he had to face it within himself -- and he did not seek to justify himself for his past actions. Brian returned again and again to that comment -- "It'll be alright. You'll be alright" to acknowledge his grandfather's support and love for him and for the living out of his faith.

I've not been able to let go of that image all day. I've thought about it as I've struggled with some issues within myself over the last couple of days -- of feeling overwhelmed and inadequate. And then I hear that voice -- "It'll be alright. You'll be alright." I have thought of that as I walked down the street and heard a man yell "That was 40 years ago! 40 Years ago -- and You're STILL HOLDING ON TO THAT?" And I thought to myself..."It'll be alright. You'll be alright." I wanted to walk over and say that right then...but I know I would see this man later and I thought he would hear it better then. Later that night I did get a chance to tell him.

I thought of that as I talked with friends this week who talked about struggles in their family and in their lives -- and I found myself saying -- "It'll be alright. You'll be alright.'

One of the reasons I know that is true -- is because I knew this man who could change his mind. It reminded me that as painful and slow as change is -- it is inevitable and it comes. I sure as heck wish it came faster. But I sure am glad it comes. And I know that God can use even the things that we screw up, even the evil we do -- and bring good things out of it. And that's a real miracle. Each and every day. It'll be alright. You'll be alright.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have said those words over and over and over today...I know it will.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you for your thoughtful comment. Pastor Craig had sent me to your ministry webpage earlier this week and am encouraged by the ministry that you all do there. I wholeheartedly agree with you on your comments, it certainly gives a fresh perspective to the loss of membership.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need to decentralize production and increase the resiliency of
the energy from such" Photovoltaic Louvers" or" non-Photovoltaic Louvers" license option.

I mean even in our calculation of shutting down a plant, we can become
a global centre of excellence in both the deployment of small wind, clean,
sustainable energy generation in Wisconsin.
So here again then you have another dilemma facing
you which is interesting because in the middle of the timeline is this:
" November 2011: 50-acre energy grass propagation nursery established with Arundo donax. So, in a poor margin environment it's just a cash log.

My page; photovoltaic isolator

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home