Thursday, May 31, 2007

Graduation Day


Kathy took this photo last night after graduation out in the parking lot behind Arsenal Technical High School. I found it all a pretty emotional experience. This picture of Conor with his grandparents (Herb and Sue Mather to the left as you look at the picture and Judy and Bob Licht to the right) is a reminder of the ties across generations and I hope it serves as a reminder to him of who he is. I really didn't know my grandparents very well. A little bit. But I think that both Conor and Jordan have had a little more of an opportunity to get to know their grandparents. We live in a more mobile society. We live in a little closer to them physically than I did to my grandparents. Their grandparents have spent time with them, alone and with us. We have tried to point out from time to time aspects of their grandparents stories and lives that we think reveal some things about their own lives -- even as we encourage them to follow their own call in this world.

This graduation day was well spent with this part of his family. That's why I wanted this photograph. I think of how Bob Licht's scientific mind is reflected in Conor's love of mathematics and physics and computer science. I think of how Judy Licht's independence of thought and strong convictions (which I saw reflected very clearly in her parents) are reflected in Conor's own independence and inner strength. I think of how Herb Mather's sense of adventure I can see so clearly in Conor -- always wanting to explore and connect to the world around him. And how in Sue Mather, in the short time she has been around our family, has helped Conor develop a bit more of the grace and hospitality that Sue walks through the world with, so easily. My mother, Lillian Mather, was incredibly resourceful: very "craft-y" and creative and always trying to figure things out -- to make sense of how things worked and why - I see that in Conor as well.

So, as is always said at such events, graduation day is not an end, it is a beginning. I hope it is just another signpost along the road that reveals to Conor who he is and who he is becoming and who God has called him to be. It seems like a pretty good start to me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

Yes, Mike, the power of grandparents upon us is amazing. I was reminded of this as I watched my sister get married this weekend. She and Kyle had a table with all of the wedding photos of people in both of their families who had been married before them. It was quite an amazing image because it would seeme to suggest that those who go before us have generations of wisdom to share and stand with us in our vows of marriage, or in Conor's case, in his pursuit of learning. Thanks for sharing.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Sipeswoman said...

Mike,

I loved the picture of Conor and his grandparents. We had a similar occurence the same weekend with Trish's graduation. I knew three of my four grandparents and Trish has known her's well too. It's hard to believe that the kids are now passing into adulthood. I know we all work toward it, but it is still a shock. They are bright and compassionate people that should make us feel hopeful about the next generation. What my Mom and Dad inspired were standing up for those who need advocacy, for adopting people into family and clebrating everything, for really believing everyone is a child of God (remember Dad taking hot chocolate to the prostitutes on Christmas Eve?)... For Skeet and Pat the sense of enthusiasm and adventure. I hope she takes those things and moves out beyond her comfort zone. She is eager - I need to be ready.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

zhengjx20160608
louis vuitton outlet
tory burch outlet
coach outlet clearance
louis vuitton purses
cheap ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet stores
coach outlet store
michael kors outlet
jordan 3s
oakley vault
concords 11
coach outlet
nike air max
jordan retro 13
tiffany and co
tory burch outlet online
tiffany and co
ray bans
kate spade outlet
nfl jerseys
rolex watches
coach outlet online
oakley canada
cheap rolex watches
michael kors outlet online
hollister clothing store
pandora jewelry
retro 11
michael kors outlet clearance
coach factory outlet online
air max
oakley outlet
louis vuitton outlet
nike uk
insanity workout
coach factory outlet online
kate spade
louis vuitton bags
cheap toms
abercrombie outlet

10:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The earliest I could get a job was when I was 15 years old, and nfl jerseys store I wanted a job as a teenager. While I wouldn't classify christian louboutin shoes my family as poor, we weren't exactly wealthy, either. I wanted a job so I NFL Jerseys could have my own source of income without having to bother my parents for Nike Free Run money. It was independence. By having my own job, I'd be able to Nike Roshe Run start saving money Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes for a car when I got my license at 16 and just have some spending cash to do with christian louboutin uk as I pleased. That's why, louboutin outlet no more than a week after my 15th Nike Air Max 90 birthday, I got a job at a drug store down the street cheap nfl jerseys from my house. wholesale nfl jerseys I worked 15-25 hours per week, taking shifts after school and on weekends. Well, it wasn't long after I started the job that something came

7:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...


Thanks for supplying this info
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/pest-control-companies-42.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/pest-control-companies-41.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/pest-control-companies-40.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/pest-control-companies-39.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/pest-control-companies-38.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/pest-control-companies-37.html

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home