Friday, July 07, 2006

Farming Magazine


Back in February my friend Biff (Mennonite Pastor from Elkhart, IN) and I took a train and car trip out East to visit authors and old friends for a week. While visiting with some delightful friends of Biff's in New Hampshire, farmers who graduated from Earlham with him 30 years ago...they mentioned a magazine they liked a lot called Farming Magazine: People, Land, and Community. So...I subscribed. I think every urban pastor should subscribe...not to mention every person I know. They suggest interesting books...they mention great recipes (the recent issue has some great raspberry recipes) and they talk about things that are important. What more could you ask for?

I particularly like David Kline's articles -- observing the world around him and commenting on it. I like the pieces by Gene Logsdon (a regular contributor) who always writes in a way that informs and sometimes (delightfully so) provokes. The very last article in this month's issue is subtitled: Creating Agriculture that builds community & wealth. Now I think -- I wonder if our newsletters at the church could use that as a guide -- "building community & wealth." Hmmm. We would need to tell more stories. We have wonderful writers -- why not. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home