Thursday, April 20, 2006

Two walks on Good Friday



Good Friday was a walking day for me. First things first -- a short walk to Unleavened Bread to have breakfast with Marc (a young man from the 2900 block of Delaware who is working on his MSW and wants to do his internship at Broadway) and Dave Medsker (the authorities at IUPUI's School of Social Work don't like Marc's idea - say it isn't clinical enough -- I mention Dave Medsker to him, though, and the school says "oh, if Dave would supervise then it MUST be okay"). So we meet. And talk. And Dave will do it. Then we leave the café and walk to the church and begin the walk to North UMC and to join the already started stations of the cross walk. But we can't find them. But we do find De'amon who joins us and we talk. De'amon tells us about a man, Mr. Kimbrough, and his wife, Mrs. Kimbrough, who live close to the church who he had just met, in his work as the roving listener. Mrs. Kimbrough told about her husband's two recent strokes and how proud a man he is and how depressed he is and how he loves to play golf. But now he can't. As she talks Mr. Kimbrough steps outside -- he sees De'amon and he pulls himself up from his slouch. He thrusts his shoulders to the sky. He is, De'amon says, a proud man. Mrs. Kimbrough speaks about her captivity in the house -- about her wish that Mr. Kimbrough could stand again on a golf course. De'amon walks a block away, he tells us, to the home of his friend lamont. Lamont plays golf. He tells him about Mr. Kimbrough. Lamont gets excited and says he wants to meet Mr. Kimbrough. He loves golf. He doesn't know many people around. Sometimes he plays with Richard who works at the corner of fall creek and college. But he doesn't seem him enough really. But maybe Mr. Kimbrough. Marc's MSW internship would focus on mental health and I think as we walk - how much De'amon is teaching him about "non-clinical" mental health work. And marc picks up on that. He talks about the connection between Lamont and Mr. Kimbrough as a "neural pathway" that De'amon has helped clear the way for. And he wonders if his work in this community, his community, can clear the way for more neural pathways to do their healing work. I don't think of it as neural pathways. I think of it as the way of the cross this good Friday. A way of the cross that is not so miserable, but that is truly a healing pathway.

And then on good Friday evening...i'm walking over to Broadway for the service...it's a beautiful bright early evening. I walk down Sutherland (colors bursting in the trees and the flowers in a few neighbors front yards) -- take the long way...and come out onto College and walk across the College Street Bridge. There is a man standing on the west side of the bridge, halfway across -- looking east. I'm walking and listening to my radio headset (Indiana Week in Review is playing). But as I pass him the man speaks to me. I stop and take off the headset. He pulls me next to him and points across the bridge. The trees are starting slowly to put out leaves. He says "look at those birds." I see two enormous birds in a large tree, with a few green leaves - he says, "those are buzzards. I've lived here for over 50 years. There used be be a lot of buzzards around here, but I haven't seen any for 40 years. What do you think it means?" a stranger -- on Good Friday -- stops me on a bridge and asks me what it means that buzzards have appeared along Fall Creek. I can't imagine. Truly. I can't imagine. I think..."well...it IS Good Friday." but I don't say it out loud. It seems to ridiculous to say. But I wonder what it means. Is Fall Creek dying? Too much toxicity over too many years? Do the buzzards know that the city is dying? We see signs of it all around. In my ears I've been listening to politicians and journalists spar over the last happenings in the higher realms of the state -- but I'm listening to them, rather than reading the signs of the times -- buzzards on Fall Creek and Mr and Mrs Kimbrough looking for a little healing and new life on Good Friday. My ears are not tuned to the right things right now. I'm listening to the politicians and the pundits -- rather than my neighbors and nature. Maybe this Good Friday I've learned a lesson.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, lovely! You are right, what De'Amon is doing is like the paths' of the way of the cross: numerous, eclectic and patternless.
I love the interaction you had on the bridge and it reminded me of a poem my best friend, Asa, wrote. Asa is a photographer in New York City. Like most of us, he is a bit lost, a bit unorganized and forever searching for meaning. I think you'll like this poem:

Poems about Pigeons


By
Asa Gauen



Diseased-feathered creature,
I drop a breadcrumb
And you attack me like a vulture.
You have no luck
Like a bum that wants a buck
Why does that cat not eat you? I wonder



Precious little bird
Why don't you like to fly?
Are you scared that you will die?
You walk in front of me and I want to kick you
But I still think you're beautiful


I found a bluish grey feather
And I keep it like a treasure
I crown you king of the city
You fly like a sewer rat with wings
You and your army



Oh loyal bird
You keep the old man company
So he will not feel so lonely
He is your best friend
When there is something in his hand



You don't like lakes or mountains
You'd rather play in fountains
You don't need a vacation spot
You are the bird of the parking lot




I give the flock a scare
and something is in my hair




Eagles are wimps
You're friends with pimps
A vulture is scary
But not street smart
Pigeons are raised in the city
It's getting cold in this town
But you're a bird with no rules
Not flying away like those other fools!





Sick pigeon in the corner
Where are your friends?
Do you have AIDs?
If another creature eats you
Will it get the bird flu?
Do not worry outcast
And believe you will heal
While they are on the rooftops perching
You are on the streets searching




Pigeon, you're no love bird
You're selfish like a child
You're a little manic
You search for a crumb
Like a herion addict



Enemy of the bats
Where do you go at night?
Do you sleep with the rats?




Hey pigeons don't fight over that hotdog!
Learn to share
Or you will go nowhere
Times are tough living on the street
But together you can't be beat



Bird of the city
When I look at you
I see me

1:44 PM  
Blogger Mike Mather said...

marc -- thanks for sharing asa's poem. i do like it. and i look forward to meeting him someday -- either here or in the city. i do keep thinking that the work that you are talking about -- the work you talked about with de'amon on the walk -- is the work that we all have. It is the work that we have to see if we can strengthen the connections between people -- it is what gives life the fullness (agony and laughter tied together) that it has at its best.

3:46 PM  
Blogger menna said...

الامانة كلين
شركة تنظيف سجاد دبى
شركة تنظيف مطابخ وازالة الدهون بدبى
شركة تنظيف مسابح بدبى
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالبخار بدبى
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالبخار بدبى
شركة تنظيف كنب بالبخار بدبى
شركة تنظيف ستائر بالبخار بدبى
شركة تنظيف بالبخار بدبى
شركة نظافة بدبى
شركة تنظيف فى دبى
شركة تنظيف منازل فى دبى
شركات تنظيف المبانى فى دبى
شركة تنظيف شقق فى دبى
شركة تنظيف فلل فى دبى
شركة مكافحة حشرات فى دبى
شركة مكافحة الرمة فى دبى
شركة مكافحة الصراصير دبى
شركة مكافحة الفئران فى دبى
شركة مكافحة البق فى دبى
شركة جلى وتلميع رخام فى دبى
شركة تنظيف خزانات فى دبى
شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج فى دبى
شركات تنظيف المنازل فى دبى
تنظيف ستائر بالبخار مع التعقيم

3:04 PM  
Blogger menna said...

فرسان العرب
شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
ارخص شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
افضل شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركات نقل الاثاث بالرياض
اسرع شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث آمنة بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
ارخص شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
افضل شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
شركات نقل الاثاث بالدمام
اسرع شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
شركة نقل اثاث آمنة بالدمام
شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض
ارخص شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض
افضل شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض
شركات تخزين الاثاث بالرياض
اسرع شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض
شركة تخزين اثاث آمنة بالرياض
شركة تغليف اثاث بالرياض
ارخص شركة تغليف اثاث بالرياض
افضل شركة تغليف اثاث بالرياض

3:54 PM  
Blogger menna said...

شركة مكافحة الرمة دبي
شركة تنظيف في دبي
شركات التنظيف في دبي

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home